In 1880, B. G. Lambert owned large amounts of land in north-eastern Williamsburg County. He operated a general store at the junction of Stage Coach and Kingstree Roads. In the store, a post office was started in 1900. The community was then known as Lamberts. The Hemingway family succeeded Lambert as the major land owner in the area. Then the Seaboard Airline Railway came through and it connected Lamberts to other areas and businessesbegan to establish themselves. A petition for a charter for the Town was filed with the Secretary of State on February 18, 1914 and it received its charter on June 22, 1914. The new town was named Hemingway in honor of Dr. W. C. Hemingway. His leadership led to its development.